Prof. Dr. Ernst Ulrich von Weizsäcker
Born June 25, 1939 in Zürich, Switzerland.
- 1981 - 1984: Director of the UN Centre for Science and Technology for Development in New York
- 1984 - 1991: Director of the Institute of European Environmental Policy, Bonn, Paris, London
- 1991: Founding President of the Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment and Engery
- 1998 - 2005: Member of the German Parliament for the Social Democratic Party (SPD), Chairman of the Environment Committee
- 2006 - 2008: Dean of Donal Bren School for Environmental Science and Management, UCSB, Santa Barbara, California, USA
- Co-President of the International Resource Panel (UNEP)
- Co-President of the Club of Rome
- Honorary Member of the World Future Council
Dr. Vandana Shiva
Born November 5, 1952 in Deharun, India.
In 1982, she set up her own Research Foundation for Science, Technology and Natural Resource Policy in her home town of Dehra Dun in the foothills of the Himalaya. The most important acting areas of Dr. Shiva and her foundation are: agriculture and genetic resources, biodiversity, World Bank and WTO campaigns, ecology and gender.
In 1993 Dr. Shiva was awarded by the Right Livelihood Award for placing women and ecology at the heart of modern development discourse.
Thereafter she was honored by many further awards. Some of these are Order of the Golden Ark, Global 500 Award of the UN, Earth Day International Award, the Lennon Ono Grant for Peace, and the Sydney Peace Prize 2010.
She is a member of the Club of Rome and the international organization for a participatory society (IOPS).
"Cultivating and conserving diversity is no luxury in our times: it is a survival imperative."